- 08 Jan 2020
Evidence for a specific diet to heal from mold is very limited.
Many have healed with quite varied diets.
Our recommendation is to eat whatever foods your body can tolerate.
Listening to your body and doing food like mold avoidance
: One great way to test your own body for food reactions (vs. following some prescribed "diet") is to do an elimination diet. This involves dropping to a very basic diet and then adding in foods one a time to see how your body responds.
Some truth to counteract the myths:
—mushrooms are not mold. Other than “magic mushrooms,” they do not produce toxins. They can be helpful for health.
—fermented foods and drinks are fermented with beneficial bacteria, yeasts, and a very few—mold. There is no inherent reason to avoid fermented foods, as yeasts and bacteria are not mold. There is evidence that even the ones fermented with mold (soy sauce, miso, sake, blue cheese) are okay. Experienced mold avoiders have eaten these with no problem.
The ones fermented with beneficial bacteria (saur kraut, pickles) can even help because the good bacteria can help crowd out pathogenic fungal infection in the body. People with SIBO, PANS, and PANDAS may need to be more careful. Otherwise, listen to your body.
—yeast is not mold. It will depend on the person how well yeast is tolerated.
—grains are not inherently bad for mold illness. In fact, several grains are binders for toxins/bile. Many people have trouble digesting grains, but if your body does well, in general, you can eat them. Some of us have found value in getting only organic grains, however. If your body does not do well even with organic, you might want to consider treating with probiotic foods or pills, avoiding mold for a good bit (at least a year), and then trying grains again. https://www.realnatural.org/probiotics-prevent-gluten-sensitivity-and-intestinal-damage-from-gliadin/
So-called “moldy” foods
—tests appear to show mycotoxins in some foods (peanut butter, coffee, corn). However, there is not a lot of evidence that these toxins are harmful to us, or at least not nearly as harmful as inhaled mold or inhaled “badness.” Many, many moldies eat these foods and appear to be no worse. There is much more risk from a bad location than “bad” food. In a bad location, the bad air can even affect food while one is cooking. So we recommend—just like mold avoidance—listen to your body!